Join our Holiday Experience and make a lasting impact
Want to experience traditional Spanish living while making a positive difference in the daily lives of abused and neglected horses, ponies and donkeys?
The Easy Horse Care holiday experience is designed to be a relaxed and fun way to enjoy sunny Spanish life while helping an excellent cause in a hands-on manner, creating a lasting impact on your own life as well as the animals that need your help.
You'll be one of a maximum six people selected to come and live at our rescue centre for anywhere from one week to two months – you decide how long you'll stay, depending on how much time you have to spare.
As an Easy Horse Care Rescue Centre holidayer, you can go deeper than being a tourist and actually help animal welfare development efforts in a significant way.
Gain hands-on equine experience in a relaxed environment
Practical placements and work experience students are welcome and we can provide a certificate of practice.
You might lend an extra hand:
- Grooming our horses (which is possibly the most peaceful way to while away a morning).
- Feeding our equines.
- Mucking out stables and fields.
You’ll likely also gain an understanding of:
- Basic horse care and handling of animals that have survived abuse and neglect.
- Basic veterinary care, including daily health checks and administering medications, ointments and prescribed veterinary treatments.
- Horse herd dynamics and friendships.
- Animal welfare laws in Spain.
While our horses are not available for riding during the program, you can expect to work closely with our equines, getting to know their incredible survival stories while falling in love with their individual personalities and quirks.
Equine experience is not essential and speaking Spanish isn't compulsory, as we mainly communicate in English.
Submerge yourself in the rural Spanish way of life and discover the Costa Blanca
Our area is a peaceful, rural place surrounded by mountains, traditional orangegroves and filled with wildlife on the banks ofthe river on the edge of the rescue centre.We have bikes available you can use to explore the local area.
- Have a walk along the Segura River and watch its numerous bird species.
- Enjoy the typical township of Rojales and its cave district.
- Buy fresh fruits and vegetables at the local market.
- Have a bike ride to the beach.
- Hop on a bus to Alicante, the capital of the province.
- Discover Torrevieja and Santa Pola’s natural parks.
- Visit the Palmeral of Elche, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- Take a boat to Tabarca Island .
What we provide you with:
During your stay, we provide you with rustic accommodation here at our traditional Spanish finca (farm), where our more than 120 horses, ponies and donkeys are homed, located just outside the southeastern Spanish town of Rojales.
You will stay in one of our two shared dormitories (with air conditioners / fans / heaters). You'll have access to a shared bathroom, a fully equipped kitchenette, a lovely outdoor patio next to a small fishpond and garden, a gymnasium and the loan of a bicycle. Wi-Fi is also available.
Our working holiday program costs €250 per week.
Your fee acts as a much-needed donation, ensuring we can continue to grow and upgrade our facilities to improve the service to our equine residents as their needs increase.
Your program cost includes:
- Accommodation with a unique unforgettable experience
Your program cost does not include:
- Food (you will have access to clean drinking water and a kitchenette to cook).
- Air transportation and any country departure taxes (where applicable).
- All transportation and accommodation costs to and from your designated departure city.
- Medical and travel/trip cancellation insurance (required).
- Passports and travel visas (where necessary), and any vaccinations (if required by your physician).
- Additional optional activities during your stay.
When can you start?
In your application form, please let us know your preferred dates and, if you are accepted, we will work to accommodate you. Please note the minimum stay is one week and the maximum stay is two months. You must arrive at the rescue centre before 6 pm.
We have created a detailed information pack for applicants, including full details of our facility and accommodation, what items to bring with you, places of interest in the area, touristic advices and a list of frequently asked questions:
How to apply:
Simply fill out our online application form to register your interest. We will contact you as soon as possible.
Please note that, upon acceptance, you will be required to pay your program fee in full to secure your stay (charged at €250 per week of stay).
Your booking will not be officially reserved until we receive your full payment. We operate on a first-in basis and can only accommodate six people at a time, so if we receive payment from another applicant first, they will get the reservation. (We will inform you if this happens). We therefore recommend making your payment as swiftly as possible to ensure you don’t miss out.
If you haven't heard from us within about a week of applying, please check your junk mail folder – very often our replies end up there!
Thank you so much for considering your holidays with us!